Monday, May 02, 2005

The habit of blogging

Bud has a post on his 100th day of blogging about developing the habit of blogging.

What I have noticed in my own blog is that I blog less when I don't have/take the time to read other blogs. That is what has been going on for the last few weeks. So it isn't the habit of writing in my blog that is concerning me but the habit of reading. I need to make more time for that. When I do, the blogging comes naturally.

Anyway, I am sorry I have been so sporadic lately. I hope to get back to being more regular here soon.

2 comments:

Nathan Lowell said...

Yea. Reading begets writing begets thinking ... You'd think the thinking would come after reading but in all honesty, I have to write to find out what I think. Then I have to think if what I wrote was really what I thought.

But the Reading comes FIRST.

todd said...

I wrote in part about this idea on my site. Writing and reading are linked and we work so hard to get students to understand that. This is the perfect example of that link.

I don't know that the reading always has to come first. That may even beget a bit of impersonating what you've read; some creativity may come from "dry" writing. Still, that connection becomes clear when you're out of ideas, read a little bit, then suddenly you're flooded with inspiration.