Wednesday, October 12, 2005

An update

Well, I guess it is time to give you an update on life in these parts. There really isn't much to say except that we are all still recovering. Those of us who suffered no real damage - and I am fortunate to be in that group - have the luxury of talking about how our cell phones don't work half the time and we still don't have cable. Others, of course, are not so lucky.

Time here is still screwy. We can't remember what day it is. Did something happen last week or three weeks ago? Now, normally I have a little problem that way (old age, I guess), but this is way beyond me and my normal forgetfulness. Things are not helped by the fact that a trip that used to take a half hour may now take an hour.

You have to think about what stores are open and what hours they are open. Most stores still aren't back to normal hours -- largely because there aren't enough employees to keep them open. The ones that are open (which is most of them), have trouble keeping items on the shelves because so many people have had to replace so much.

We are trying to retain a sense of humor, but for all of us from time to time, it gets old. We are short on patience. We want things to be easy again.

And then we hear the stories of more bodies found or someone's elderly relative having suffeed due to being evacuataed. Then -- if only for a moment -- we are grateful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Nancy. Is there anything that you or your students need that we could send to you?

Sarolta said...

I'm sorry to hear that things are not back to normal yet, Nancy. Wishing you all the best!

Anonymous said...

NANCY!

I rang a google search on Huajuapan de Leon, Oaxaca, Mexico as I do from time to time and found your on line portfoilo that brought me to your blog.

So glad to hear you didn't suffer major damage!