Wednesday, December 14, 2005

As the semester comes to a close...

I find myself trying to see what actually transpired in my classroom. It hasn't been a particularly stellar semester, but I am trying to not get bogged down in the negative. I am looking for some of the good and trying to figure out how to improve the rest.

I didn't give my students a fair shot a blogging this semester. It was complicated by switching blog providers mid-semester. But I just never managed to convey my enthusiasm for blogging to my students. But you know, I never really shared my blog with them, either. Maybe I will set up a class blog for the next semester. Maybe participating in it together will help them see the communal nature of blogging more easily.

I haven't worked this out in my mind yet, of course. As a matter of fact, the idea just came to me now as I was writing. But I can see advantages.

Mostly, though, I have to work on setting it up so they will want to blog. I have to help them see the value in it. I didn't achieve that goal this semester. Hope I do better next time!

3 comments:

Nancy A. McKeand said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nancy A. McKeand said...

Hi, Jo!
My students will be in their 20s probably. Might be too old for yours. But it is a good idea. I will see what I can do. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Nancy--I had a near-identical experience with my class. I 've come to think that a class blog would allow for comfort first, and would open up the possibility of individual blogs after midterms.