Friday, July 14, 2006

Choosing literature for ESL

I am in the process of getting ready to write the final paper for a course I am taking this summer on young adult literature. I think I want to write it on evaluating YA lit for use in college level ESL classes. So I am sending out a plea to those of you who teach ESL at the college level or teach adults in other settings: Have you ever used YA lit with your adult students? How did you decide which books to use? How were the books received by the students? What books would you recommend and why?

If you don't teach adults but are an adult yourself, have you ever read YA literature? Why? What was your reaction to the book?

If you teach young adults, which books that you use with your students do you think would be appropriate to use with adults?

I really appreciate any insights you might be able to give me. Thanks!

2 comments:

teacher dude said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
teacher dude said...

I've used the Harry Potter books with teenage students I was tutoring. Originally, I thought they'd be too long and difficult, but they were quickly finished, much to my surprise.

I also gave The Pocket and the Pendent podiobook by Mark Archer which, again proved popular.

Next year I'll be using the Lemony Snicket series, both as audio books and regular ones.