Thursday, July 14, 2005

Preparation for the SLWP 2005 Advanced Institute

Bud asked me the other day about our advanced writing institute. While it doesn't actually start until Monday, we are all working to prepare for it already.

This year the advanced institute will be run a little differently than it has been in the past. Each of us has selected a book related to education and/or writing to read prior to the institute. During the mornings of the first week of the institute, we will lead guided inquiry sessions on the issues raised by the books. Being an ESL teacher, the book I chose was Myths and Realities: Best Practices for Language Minority Students by Samway and McKeon. It is an interesting book, and I think it will be helpful to the participants in the institute who have not yet had English Language Learners in their classrooms. At least I hope it will.

In the afternoons, we will be writing. I will be glad to have the time to do that. I have about four projects in mind but I have taken them no further. Hopefully by the end of the two weeks I will have made progress on at least one of them.

The second week of the institute we will spend 3 days in New Orleans doing a writing marathon. This is always a magical experience. As usual, writers from across the country will be joining us. I am really looking forward to it!

And, of course, we will produce an anthology of our best writing from the institute. We will actually be finishing that up after the institute itself ends.

I am really looking forward to the institute and to taking/having the time to write. Since I started blogging in January, most of my writing has been done here. While I am happy that I have been able to sustain this blog for what is now 136 posts, I need to do more and different writing.

As the institute progresses, I will give updates. Stay tuned.

No comments: