Saturday, January 05, 2008

Another convert

Today was spent helping my daughter get her computer up and running again. She had wanted to install Ubuntu until she saw Linux Mint. Then she wanted Mint. She installed it and was happy -- until she tried to connect to the Internet. See, she has the infamous Broadcom 4318 chipset in her Linksys wireless card. Now, I have the same chipset in my Compaq, on which I am currently running Ubuntu Gutsy. It was a hassle to get the wireless to work, but I have done it a couple times. I have the drivers. I put them on my daughter's machine, to no avail. I tried with Mint and later with Gutsy. No luck either way. Then I tried PCLinux, used the same drivers I had tried with Ubuntu and Mint. Aside from telling the computer which .inf file I wanted it to use, I had no trouble at all connecting her to the Internet. Needless to say, we installed PCLinux on her machine. She is happy, and so am I. Now, if she could just figure out how to use gnucash...

2 comments:

Miguel Guhlin (@mGuhlin) said...

Nancy, how many machines running PCLinuxOS 2007 now?

Miguel

MilkyWhite said...

Hey... just thought I'd pass along this little nugget I found. Not saying that this will necessarily work for you, but it did the trick for my Dell 1370 Wireless card in my Ubuntu (Gutsy Gibon) installation:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=197102&highlight=4318