Friday, January 11, 2008

PCLinuxOS 2007, again

I know I keep talking about it, but I can't seem to stop! If it didn't make Linux so easy, I wouldn't have to talk about it!

The other day I was talking about my husband's laptop problems. After trying Debian, which he is running on his desktop, and PCLinux Gnome, my husband is back running PCLinuxOS 2007, the KDE version. Nothing else would allow him to set up his wireless card. Or at least, nothing else recognized it even halfway easily. He actually couldn't even set up a wired connection on anything but the KDE version of PCLinux. So, despite his reference for Gnome, my husband is again using KDE -- and learning to love it.

Seriously, if you are even remotely curious about Linux, give PCLinuxOS 2007 a try. You can find links here to either download it or, if you prefer, purchase it on CD for $5.99. Either way, use it off the live CD without installing it. Give it two weeks and see what you think. If you try it, I would love to know your reactions, so feel free to come back here and let me know.

Note: I am still running Ubuntu on my other machine, and I love it. And, as I said, my husband also uses Debian. I don't know if I will ever switch both my machines to the same OS. I like things about both Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS, and there is no reason to limit myself to one! (More free software culture thinking, I guess!)

2 comments:

Miguel Guhlin (@mGuhlin) said...

I wish I knew how to install PCLInux OS on a Macbook using bootcamp.

Sigh. For now, I run it in VMWare Fusion...and on every other "Windows" PC I have.

Miguel Guhlin (@mGuhlin) said...

Woohoo! I'm now running PCLinux OS on my Macbook as dual boot. Works great, although I'll have to disable the trackpad and figure out how to switch the command and control key...since i'm doing gnome, it shouldn't be that different from the way I did it on Ubuntu.

Works better overall...and without the tweaks.