Monday, June 20, 2005

An apology

Well, Bud brought me back to my senses here by commenting on the fact that I haven't posted in awhile. I can't believe it has been so long!

Last week was difficult for me. Our summer program started, and we have 2 students. I know... It sounds like heaven, but it hasn't been that way for me. One of the guys got right with the program and was into it almost immediately. The other one resisted everything I tried to do. Since I see them each for two hours and a half every day, I was nearly frantic for something to do with the one guy. I wanted it to be meaningful for him and useful, but I couldn't seem to find the secret to doing that. To make matters worse, he loved the other teacher's class. See, she teaches listening and speaking, and I teach reading and writing. The student in question didn't want to read or write.

To make a long story short, I finally realized I was giving him too much power. So I prepared the best lesson I could for Friday, making it a little less text-intensive, and decided that we would do that lesson no matter what. It went real well. Part of it was maybe a better plan for the class. Part was my belief that it was a good lesson and the determination that we would do it, and part was the fact that the student came in with a different attitude on Friday.

After what had been, for me, an exhausting week, I just enjoyed the weekend.

But anyway, I am still alive and well and, it seems, back to my blog. Thanks for asking, Bud.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

I thought perhaps you'd gone away on holiday without telling us! Glad the resistant student is coming round.