Thursday, February 23, 2006

Not really failed...

As I looked at my blog just now in preparation for a different post, I saw the title of the last one, "Another failed experiment". And I had to ask myself why in the world I had chosen that title.

The only thing that failed was that my students were not able to get what I wanted them to from the other blog. They didn't see what I wanted them to see. But once I pointed it out to them, they understood and began to make some edits on their own posts to the blog. So on that level it was a success.

The title, then, is more a demonstration of my own frustration when nobody got it on their own. But since I hadn't really prepared them to see what I wanted them to see, I really had no right to be frustrated, much less turn it into a "failed experiment".

What I got from this is that I need to teach my students to sometimes look at the bigger picture. And I need to remember that what is in my mind as I design an activity isn't in theirs -- unless I put it there.

So it was only a failure if I don't remember those things and try to do it better next time.

1 comment:

Bee said...

Nancy, I have just read Barbara Ganley's recent post. Most inspiring! I recommend it.